The decision to place a loved one into a nursing home facility might have been the last option for someone. It is not always easy placing the lives of a loved one into the hands of another person because no one can care better for them, right? While nursing homes are meant to care, treat, and look after those who reside in them, sometimes they cause the residents further damage and harm. “Everything that shines is not always gold”, is a saying that applies to nursing homes and other elderly service providers. There have been many cases reported about abuse and neglect towards the elderly of these facilities. Unfortunately, many of these victims have their health deteriorated and are further damaged mentally. An elder person that is neglect or abuse is most likely to suffer a premature death because they are already in a weak state of mind and health.
Something that saddens the nursing home abuse firm in Naples is the number of family members and friends of residents that are ignorant to the fact that these things are occurring to their loved ones. The lack of knowledge and investigation of a residents current state in these facilities is a huge factor that increases the likelihood of a resident becoming a victim of abuse or neglect. The less physical interaction that a loved one has with a resident of a nursing home, the more the nursing home staff and facility will not properly care for them. If someone is there every day watching them, these heinous acts and neglect are least likely to take place.
Your Loved One Can Be Abused and Neglected In Many Ways
There is not just one way that an elder person can be abused and neglected in a nursing home facility. In fact, there are many forms that can be seen with abuse and neglect. Some of those ways include:
- Emotional Mistreatment: Unlike physical abuse, emotional abuse is often harder to determine due to the lack of signs. This is why it is important that a resident is regularly checked on to ensure that they are not experiencing any changes in their demeanor. If there are signs of aggression, change in behavior, fear, or other elements, it might indicate that they are being subjected to emotional
- Physical Mistreatment: When someone is physically abused, it might be easy to tell because they will often display physical signs like bruises, scratches, scars, and other irregularities in their physical appearance. Because an elder is frail, just one hit, shove, or other physical act can render them incapacitated and even dead. It is important to recognize any changes in their physical appearance that was not there before.
- Financial Mishandling: Financial exploitation is another form of abuse that can take place, although it is the least dangerous one. The financial funds of a resident may be taken to the facility where they fail to securely monitor their assets. If their property is being stolen, their bank activity is irregular, or any other financial anomalies, it may suggest financial abuse.
- Sexual Abuse: While many may not believe it, the elderly are being sexually abused in nursing home facilities. How does that happen? It does. Unfortunately, numerous facilities do not take preventative measures and allow this to happen. If any bruises or bleeding is noticed in the private areas or breast area, it may mean that the resident has been sexually Even a change in character may indicate that.
Naples Nursing Home Abuse Identifiers
There may be a number of identifiable factors in a resident that is abused or neglected in any way or form. Although sometimes these signs may be difficult to determine. These are some well-known indicators of neglect or abuse:
- A resident that is persistently falling
- A resident that does not have a clean personal hygiene
- A resident that is acquiring numerous infections
- A resident that has their live space dirty
- A resident that is experiencing bedsores
- A resident that is having physical abnormalities surface like bruises
- A resident that is having changes in their financial funds
The possibility of red flags is endless. Any little thing could mean that something terribly wrong is occurring to the resident. It is always better to be safe than sorry, which is why if there is any little change in the resident, it is always smart to further investigate its origin.
The Discovery of Why Neglect and Abuse Occurs in Nursing Homes
Discovering why an elder person is abused and neglected in a nursing home facility often crushes the spirits of the nursing home abuse attorneys in Naples. This is often hard to grasp because how could someone be so cruel to a person who is otherwise unable to care for themselves? There have been many reasons as to why it happens including:
- Lack of employees to fulfill the needs of every resident
- Providers of services that are stressed with all of the demands of the job
- Failing to properly assess residents that are at high-risk
- Medical negligence
- Failing to have proper supervision in the facility
- Not following the safety measures set in place
- Not conducting the appropriate sanitizing methods
- Not conducting background checks; and
There is no valid reason that can support the act of neglect or abuse towards an elderly resident. Each case of neglect and abuse that occurs in these facilities is brought on for a different reason. Due to the number of factors that takes place, it is important to assess the overall quality of a nursing home facility beforehand. A skilled personal injury law for nursing home mistreatment in Naples and assist their clients with all the information necessary.
Nursing Home Facilities Abuse Statistics and Information
Many statistics show that the prevalence of neglect and abuse towards the elderly is a concern that should not be taken lightly.
- Throughout the U.S 40% of nursing home facilities have reported cases of abuse
- An estimate of 90% of residents in nursing homes have reported some form of neglect
- 2 million reports of abuse are made every year
- Realistically speaking, most incidents of abuse do not go reported
- About 10% of the elderly population will become a victim of abuse
Methods to Adopt To Avoid Neglect and Abused Towards a Loved One
Someone who has a loved one in a nursing home can adopt a variety of methods to ensure their well-being in these facilities. Looking for the best nursing home for the resident is the first step that must be taken before placing them into a facility. With the right facility, the possibilities of becoming a victim diminish. These are some ways to find the best and safest match for the resident:
- Finding a nursing home that is close to the loved one and listing all the prestigious ones
- Having family members and friends involved in the decision of a prospective facility
- Looking through the websites that show certified facilities like Medicaid or Medicare
- Ask questions of the function of the nursing home facility to determine if any factor deters their decision
- Speak with the head of the facility and visit the nursing home to see its quality
- Look at the resident’s demeanor towards the facility
One has to compile all factors before choosing a nursing home facility for their loved one. Important decisions like that cannot be taken immediately. It is a decision that requires time.
Nursing Home Facilities Located in Naples
These are some facilities that are located in Naples that can be selected:
- Lakeside Pavilion
- The Glenview at Pelican Bay
- ManorCare Nursing & Rehabilitation
- Terracina Grand
- Brookdale Naples
- Aston Gardens At Pelican Marsh
- Barrington Terrace of Naples
- Moorings Park at Grey Oaks
- Beach House Assisted Living
There are many facilities that someone can choose from which is why it is important to conduct investigations of every possible facility.
Protecting the Lives and Well-Being of The Elderly Population
It is important to seek a compassionate, comprehensive, and professional lawyer that focuses on nursing home abuse in Naples from the firm of Percy Martinez. The firm is dedicated and motivated to aid victims and their families that have undergone neglect and abuse in a nursing home setting. They strive to achieve the best outcome for their clients and ensure that all of the damages that were inflicted upon them are recovered through the litigation process. The life of a loved one is the most vital aspect in our every day lives. Ensuring that they are being taken care of appropriately and with professional care is a key element in asserting great years to come for the resident.