Coral Reef Medical Center has a total of four medical centers located in different areas in Miami-Dade County that help better serve their patients. Coral Reef Medical Center is comprised of a wide variety of services and focuses on Family and Internal medicine. It is a small practice composed of a few medical providers, unlike a hospital where hundreds of health care professionals might be working. They are not a 24/7 health care facility and function according to appointments, but they do accept walk-in patients (You might have to wait a while).
One might think that because it is a smaller facility, that they are able to focus more of their attention on the individual patients that they see each day. That is true. They are able to provide better service to their patients because they do not have the increased stress of attending to many patients at once, but how skilled are they with dealing with certain situations? Medical malpractice could occur at any medical center facility, including at Coral Reef Medical Center. These are some of the services offered by them where a medical malpractice lawsuit can arise:
- Physical Exams
- Women’s Health
- Men’s Health
- Annual Wellness Visits
- Health Risk Assessments
- Sick Visits
- Minor Surgery
- Minor Wound Care
- Pulmonary Function Tests
- Blood and Urinalysis
- Pregnancy Test
- STD Testing
- Drug Testing
- Medical Weight Loss programs
At our experienced personal injury firm in Miami, FL, we have P.I lawyers that are skilled in medical malpractice instances. Even going for a simple “minor surgery” could end with disastrous results because every surgery is crucial and requires excessive knowledge and skill. Have you sought medical aid at Coral Reef Medical Center in Miami-Dade County and believe that medical negligence was present during your treatment? We recommend that you consult with a knowledgeable medical malpractice attorney at Percy Martinez Law Firm if this case pertains to you.
Learning of Ways that You Can Become Victimized
Although medical providers might not be performing medical negligence’s on purpose (some do), when they fail to provide exceptional standard of care, patients can suffer the aftermath of that negligence. Medical malpractice can arise, and the patient might end up permanently injured and even die as a result. Our medical malpractice lawyers in Miami suggest that every individual who plans on being treated or has ever been treated, that they come to learn the ways that they can become a victim of medical malpractice. These are some main areas where medical malpractice is often prevalent:
- Errors with diagnosis lawsuit: This is the biggest issue in the medical world. Medical providers are not providing their patients with an accurate diagnosis, are failing to provide them with one at all, or are delaying their diagnosis. These three situations often lead to issues with the treatment of the patient that can be fatal. In addition, misdiagnosis malpractice is extremely dangerous as certain health conditions require immediate care like a blood clot or cancer. Just imagine that you go into the Emergency room because you are experiencing pain in your leg and feel like a ball present there. They see you but fail to diagnose what you have. It turns out that it was a blood clot and it eventually went to your brain causing you a brain embolism. That is an example of what can lead to a misdiagnosis medical malpractice lawsuit.
- Surgical incompetence lawsuit: Surgical incompetence refers to the mistakes that surgical teams make during an operation. Some of those errors, even in a minor surgery that could occur include failure to monitor the patient’s vital signs, cutting into the wrong site, failing to communicate amongst medical professionals, operating on the wrong body part, and more. Mistakes during any surgery could be deadly, especially if the medical negligence that the physician performed was excessive. Coral Reef Medical center performs minor surgeries where medical malpractice can happen.
- Women’s Health medical malpractice lawsuit: Women’s health is a broad category that is comprised of certain aspects related only to a woman like pregnancy and their reproductive system. Often handled by obstetricians and gynecologist, women’s health medical malpractice can range from failure to diagnose ovarian cancer to improper use of birth assisting tools during the delivery of a baby which results in a birth injury. Many medical negligences can be performed during the care of a woman’s health, resulting in a medical malpractice lawsuit.
- Mistakes with medication lawsuit: Medication error happens quite frequently. These mistakes could happen while the doctor is trying to see which medication to provide the patient with, when the physician prescribes the dosage amount, the way the drug is being administered to the patient, and even monitoring the patient after using the drug. A medication might be needed by the patient in order to contain their health condition under control like diabetes or a heart condition. Because of a medication error that resulted in a patient’s damages, the patient has a right to file a medical malpractice lawsuit. A doctor must learn of the patient’s health history, and any other drugs they are currently taking before prescribing them with a new one that they might not know may have an adverse effect on the individual.
Medical malpractice can come to any individual who seeks medical assistance at a medical facility and is cared for by a health care professional. When you discover about those ways, spotting it before it happens and preventing further damage from taking place could be beneficial for you. It is imperative that as a victim of medical malpractice or the belief that you may be one, that you consult with a professional lawyer in Miami, FL focused on medical malpractice because instances of malpractice can be experienced through various medical settings and under many different scenarios, something that Percy Martinez understands.
Relating Numbers with Medical Malpractice
Many may be surprised to find out that errors in medicine are responsible for rank #3 as the leading cause of deaths of Americans. Yes, medical malpractice is responsible for more deaths than car accidents every year. Below are some essential information and facts:
- Medical malpractice is only behind heart disease and cancer in the number of deaths per year
- Females tend to suffer from medical malpractice at a higher rate than men
- The most sued medical provider are surgeons
- Most medical malpractice claims reach an agreement before they go to trial
- Misdiagnosis and medication error are the most prevalent medical malpractice occurrences
- Bureau of Justice Statistics reports that in 2002, less than a quarter of plaintiffs won their cases
Allegations of Medical Malpractice in 2012
|Related to diagnosis||33%|
|Related to surgery||24%|
|Related to treatment||18%|
|Related to Obstetricians||11%|
|Related to medication||4%|
|Related to monitoring||3%|
|Related to anesthesia||3%|
*Chart provided by Seekingjustice
Medical Malpractice: FAQ’s
Question: What are the elements required in order for my case of medical malpractice to be valid?
Answer: It is not simply that a physician committed a medical negligence. There must be specific elements tied to your case in order to show that a medical malpractice lawsuit can be fulfilled. First of all, you must show that the alleged doctor being accused of medical malpractice actually treated you. Secondly, you must demonstrate how the physician was negligent. Thirdly, you need to point out how their negligence resulted in your injury. Lastly, the injury you acquired must be substantial.
Question: During my medical malpractice lawsuit, what damages can I claim?
Answer: This depends on the extent of damages you acquired and how it occurred. Normally, victims of medical malpractice will be able to claim the following:
Specific damages: Specific damages are damages that you can place a number to like the medical bills you acquired or loss of income due to the medical malpractice.
General damages: General damages are non-economic damages. Basically, damages that you acquire that cannot be calculated like pain and suffering.
There are rare instances where punitive damages can be claimed as well. This type of damage is only awarded by the discretion of the judge and jury to punish the medical provider. If they believe that the physician was so negligent or that they intentionally performed the negligence, they can be held liable for punitive damages.
Question: Can I Sue my medical provider if they failed to tell me of the known risk of my surgery?
Answer: The answer is yes. If you suffered substantial damages during the surgery and were not aware of those risks, the physician can be sued for medical malpractice. This is known as “lack of informed consent”.
Question: Who can I sue if I suffered damages because a nurse gave me the incorrect medication?
Answer: Nursing malpractice occurs when the nurse fails to abide by the standard of care. The person responsible for a medical negligence by a nurse depends on the circumstance. Most often it is the hospital that will be held liable, but it could also be the attending doctor:
Hospital: A hospital can be found liable if the nurse was employed by them, the nurse injured the patient while she was performing her job, and control of the nurse was not maintained by a non-employee of the hospital.
Attending doctor: An attending doctor can be found responsible if they were in the presence of the nurse, and if they had the power to prevent the negligence committed by the nurse.
Question: Not Every medical negligence leads to a medical malpractice, then what mistakes do?
Answer: That is true. Not every medical negligence will amount to a medical malpractice lawsuit because the victim must have suffered extreme damages. But in most cases, these following medical negligence’s can amount to a claim for medical malpractice:
- Incorrect treatment malpractice
- Failure to diagnose malpractice
- Lack of informed consent malpractice
- Surgical malpractice; and
Understating Your Legal Rights with Skilled Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Miami
The laws, regulations, and provisions involved with cases of medical malpractice are extremely complex. They require lawyers that are practiced in that area because not all personal injury lawyers can manage these types of claims. It necessitates knowledge of medical terminology and medical experts. These are all assets that the best Medical Malpractice lawyers in Miami At Percy Martinez Law Firm can offer their clients. They know what it takes to win a medical malpractice lawsuit and have all the power to achieve a victory. We are by your side until the end if you were a victim of medical malpractice at Coral Reef Medical Center in Miami-Dade County.
- https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=933&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=ifqDW6KmNoWA5wLl4KbAAw&q=coral+reef+medical+center+Miami&oq=coral+reef+medical+center+Miami&gs_l=img.3…15941.16610.0.172220.127.116.11.0.0.0.85.318.104.22.168….0…1.1.64.img..1.1.73…0i24k1.0.eLXFWeXLL4k#imgrc=wpuCs99a6RN3YM: – image
- https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=933&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=m_qDW_eBMIKb5wK8pa74BQ&q=faqs&oq=faqs&gs_l=img.3..0l10.30360.31116.0.31222.214.171.124.0.0.0.92.304.4.4.0….0…1..64.img..0.4.304…0i67k1.0.gvqqLZ3yQ3o#imgrc=t4-vX0k4QT0R1M: – image