HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of Miami focuses on rehabilitating its patients. They are a 60-bed capacity unit, designed to make patients whole again and return to their normal daily activities. In addition to the rehabilitation focus that they provide their patients, they have specialized inpatient programs that assist those patients who have suffered from strokes, brain injuries, amputations, and spinal cord injuries.
They ensure that their patients do at least three hours of physical therapy each day for five days a week—they want you to resume back to your normal life. The dedication and care that they seem to provide may give any person seeking rehabilitation services great reason to seek their care. While hospitals consisting of little number of beds have always proven to focus more on the patient, with any visit to a medical facility, the risks of becoming a medical malpractice victim is always possible.
Let’s not forget that medical professionals are human; we were designed to make mistakes. Even the most skilled health care provider can commit a medical negligence. In fact, almost 300,000 Americans are killed each year because of medical malpractice. And just imagine, those physicians committing these negligence’s had years of schooling on top of all the hours of practice. Services offered by HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of Miami can be sources where a patient becomes a victim of medical malpractice, including:
- Balance and vestibular rehabilitation
- Bowel and bladder training
- Brain injury
- Cardiac care
- Day program
- Case Manager
- Dietary and Nutritional Counseling
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Independent Rehabilitation Physician
A long road of pain and suffering and becoming worst can be the faith of a patient by even suggestions provided by the medical provider or improper maneuvering of the patient during physical therapy, even though this hospital focuses on rehabilitation. Percy Martinez Law Firm in Miami has proficient medical malpractice attorneys that have had to deal with a wide variety of different cases of medical malpractice that have stemmed through a variety of circumstances. Any medical professional can cause your damages including:
- Physical therapists
- Nurse Practitioner
- Radiologists; and
An essential advice that our lawyers offer their prospective clients is to become knowledgeable about everything that is tied to medical malpractice. With more and more individuals becoming sick each year and more medical malpractice cases taking lives, it should be pursued.
Possible Cases of Medical Malpractice
Our Miami personal injury firm wants to explain some examples of medical malpractice that could come to a patient during their care or treatment at any medical facility that can amount to a medical malpractice lawsuit at HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of Miami:
- Poor follow-up care medical malpractice lawsuit: Whether you are being treated for a condition, performed an operation, or are just seeking medication attention, the doctor that is treating you is required to follow-up with you. If you went in to perform some tests and your physician never called you back telling you what your results were, they can be held liable for medical negligence if that delay in not telling you led to your injuries. For example, it may have been a condition like pneumonia, that needs antibiotics in order to treat. Just like when after an operation, the doctor has to come and see that everything went fine. They must evaluate your vital signs to ensure that no infection has come to you. If they fail to do so, and you suffer damages, you can file a medical malpractice lawsuit for poor follow-up care.
- Not obtaining medical history of patient medical malpractice lawsuit: Obtaining the medical history of a patient is crucial. Before a medical provider performs any treatment, decides to do an operation, or gives a patient a prescription, they must first evaluate their medical chart. Failing to do so can lead to various consequences including brain damage and even death. Just imagine if a physician fails to see that their patient is allergic to a specific medication and orders for them to take a medication that has the same ingredients in it? Or that the physician does not read that the patient has asthma and fails to provide them with oxygen during an intensive operation? It is important to know all aspects of each patient before treating them.
- Failure to recognize symptoms medical malpractice lawsuit: When a patient comes in with a complaint or apparent symptoms, those cannot be disregarded. Remember, symptoms can often give a sign of a chronic medical condition, or it could just assure the physician that the patient is not suffering from a certain condition. If a doctor fails to take symptoms into account, disregards them, or should have known that the patient was suffering from those symptoms, they can be sued for a medical malpractice for failure to recognize symptoms if the patient suffers an injury as a result. Sometimes, a doctor might be overconfident and say that your symptoms are nothing serious, but as a patient, you have the right to requests that they perform tests on you to exclude any possible medical problems.
- Unnecessary surgery medical malpractice lawsuit: Unnecessary surgery? What!? Yes. There are many cases where physicians perform unnecessary surgeries on their patients. In fact, it has been estimated that about 7.5 million people become victims of unnecessary surgery each year. An unnecessary surgery malpractice can be because the operation was not needed, not indicated to the patient, or not in their best interest. For example, there have been various clinical trials that indicate that spinal fusion does not improve the patient’s long-term well-being when compared to the traditional methods like physical therapy, yet despite these trials, these operations continue to rise every year in the US.
It could be a frightful experience undergoing a moment of medical malpractice while you are seeking help. Who would ever imagine that more harm would come to you than good from a medical encounter with a skilled professional? Well, sadly, millions suffer injuries each year, and thousands die from these medical mistakes. If you have experienced a medical negligence that amounted to your injuries at HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of Miami, don’t wait to call us. Don’t forget that medical malpractice cases have statute of limitations and specific provisions that must be fulfilled with extreme detail.
Statute of Limitations in the Medical World of Malpractice
We have mentioned statute of limitations above, but many individuals wonder, what is that term exactly? Statute of limitations is a legal notion that if a person is injured, they have a specific time frame to file a lawsuit depending on the type of source that their injury derived from. While medical malpractice falls under personal injury laws, the laws tied to it are very unique. These are some elements of the statute of limitations that you should know:
- The time starts counting once you have discovered the medical malpractice (law recognizes that you might not immediately find out)
- You have two years to file a lawsuit from the moment it was discovered
- A medical malpractice lawsuit cannot be filed if seven years have passed since the medical malpractice regardless of when you discovered it
- Exception: If fraud (intentional misinterpretation of facts) was committed, an added two years go to the initial two years, meaning it would be four years.
You can view the specific statute of limitations for Florida here. What are you waiting for? Don’t let the time elapse before you are able to file your medical malpractice lawsuit. You want to get justice for what has been done to you. Don’t let this opportunity slip away before time runs out. Competent Miami medical malpractice lawyers are waiting for your call.
Did You Know?
- Did you know that California, Florida, New York and Pennsylvania are the states that compromise 48% of all medical malpractice claims in the US?
- Did you know that out of 100 medical malpractice cases, 93 of them will be settled out of court?
- Did you know that an average of 3.8 billion dollars is paid for victims of medical malpractice every year?
- Did you know that medical malpractice lawsuits most often have surgeons as named defendants?
- Did you know that misdiagnosis happens at least once in your lifetime? As much as twelve million people are diagnosed annually
- Did you know that a little more than a million individuals suffer from medication errors?
Suffered from Medical Malpractice at HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of Miami?
If your loved one or you have discovered that you may have encountered a medical malpractice situation during your time at HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of Miami, the best thing that you should do is consult your concerns with professional Miami Medical malpractice lawyers at Percy Martinez Law Firm. You have nothing to lose because they offer a free consultation. Determining of whether you have an existing medical malpractice case can be accomplished through the guidance of one their medical malpractice professionals. It is always important to follow your instinct. If you feel that something is wrong, most likely it is. The notion of medical malpractice goes far beyond a regular personal injury case. Get the best legal counsel today.
- Florida Statutes section 95.11(4)(b).
- https://www.google.com/search?q=HealthSouth+Rehabilitation+Hospital+of+Miami&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiB9—pJfdAhUQpFkKHf1iBmEQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1920&bih=933#imgrc=fMDgPUq3nGlLIM: – image
- https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=933&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=nzOJW4ToM4mc5wLoj4GADw&q=did+you+know&oq=did+you+know&gs_l=img.3..0l10.50226.51312.0.514220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.841.5j3.8.0….0…1c.1.64.img..1.11.846…0i67k1.0.feR7OG6tK2I#imgrc=FE8SiMZ-rJdtLM:- image