Many people would love to experience life overseas. For those who do, many of them will have memorable experiences, but there are also many that will be injured or killed during their time on a boat. Every year, there are many boat accidents that will lead to the death of many, and possibly the catastrophic injury of others. Boating is now easier than before. An individual could rent a boat, they don’t have to own one. In fact, with summer in motion, a great number of people will continue to experience or have a new experience while on a boat.
What causes boating accidents? How is it possible to get in an accident if a boat is in the open water? There are numerous elements that can be the cause of an aquatic vessel collision. Sometimes, inexperience accounts for a great percentage of boat accidents. In total, there are about 12 million registered recreation boats, but many boats that are being used do not require to be registered, meaning that number is greater. Some shocking statistics is that in 2015, 4158 accidents took place of which 626 fatalities and 2,613 injuries occurred over waters. Boating injury attorneys from Percy Martinez Law Firm know that the main reason for these fatalities is drowning.
Many people are inexperienced in operating a boat and might not know how to even swim. Individuals going on a boat must use safety measures like life jackets. In fact, 76% of all deaths surging from boating accidents are due to the individual drowning and 86% of those who drown are found to not be wearing a life jacket.
While there are a number of different types of boats involved in accidents, here are the statistics for the main ones:
- 46% of boating accidents occur with open motorboats
- 12% of boating accidents occur with kayaks
- 11% of boating accidents occur with canoes
Major Boating Accident Occurrences Statistics
- 619 injuries and 36 deaths came from the 990 boating collisions that took place with other boats in 2015.
- 321 injuries and 58 deaths came from 470 boating crashes that took place with a fixed object in 2015.
- 118 injuries and 56 deaths came from 449 boats that experienced flooding in 2015.
- 261 injuries and 17 fatalities occurred due to grounding in 2015
- 319 injuries and 12 deaths occurred to water skiers in 2015
While going on a boat can be a great experience, it can also be the worse day in the life of many. Every year hundreds of people are killed and injured due to an aquatic vessel accident collision. A possible lawsuit can come from a boating accident that involved a negligent person who would have to pay for the damages that they caused. The personal injury attorneys at Percy Martinez Law Firm can help achieve that.