Some statistics and facts about cruise ships may be quite frightening. Below will be listed some statistical facts about injuries, deaths, and accidents aboard various cruise ship lines, for more information visit a cruise ship attorney:
- Between 1979 and 2013, 55 cruise ships sank
- Between 2010 and 2013, 15 cruise ships sank
- Since 2005, 448 major accidents were reported
- Between 1990 and 2011, 72 onboard fires took place
- Virus outbreaks about on an average of 12 times per year
- In 2015, 442 people were dead or missing after MS Eastern Star was struck by a cyclone
- Between the year 2002 to 2007, 10% of passengers were reported to be affected by some type of onboard crime. 55% were reported to be a sexual assault;22% were reported to be physical assaults;7% were reported to be homicides; 5% were reported to be missing persons; 46% of the crime was committed by crew members.
- Between 2012 and 2014, 29 assault crimes and 74 rapes were reported
- Nassau Bahamas is considered the most dangerous travel destination
- In 2012, Costa Concordia hit a reef, resulting in the death of 32 people
- In 2006, Princess Cruises caught on fire, resulting in the injuries of several passengers and the death of one person
- In 2005, a groom on his honeymoon on Royal Caribbean disappeared
- In 2005, several passengers were injured following a 70-foot rogue wave on Norwegian Cruise Line
- Between 2010 and 2013, 55 ships have sank
- 101 shipboard fires have occurred since the year 2005
- 79 cruise ship collisions were reported since the year 2005
- Since 1995, Carnival Cruise line has had a total of 268 overboard accidents
- Between the year 2005 and 2014, Royal Caribbean has had 39 overboard accidents
- Between January 2015 to November 2015, 26 people went overboard on Norwegian Cruise Line
- On an average, 50 new cases of crimes are investigated each year by the FBI
- From 2013 to now, Norwegian cruise line has had 12 rape cases, 3 sexual assault cases, 6 theft cases, and 1 assault with bodily injury.
- From 2013 to now, Carnival Cruise Line has had 64 rape cases, 29 sexual assault cases, 5 theft cases, and 24 assault with bodily injury.
- From 2013 to now, Royal Caribbean has had 26 rape cases, 26 sexual assault cases, 21 theft cases, 4 assault with a bodily injury, and 3 missing persons.
Cruise lines will try everything in their power to avoid liability with various defenses and techniques, which is why the victim of accident occurring on board a cruise ship while overseas will required a knowledgeable lawyer from Miami regarding the maritime laws and techniques needed. The best personal injury attorneys are ready and available for all their client’s needs. They will have their client’s rights defended against the cruise line companies.
Related Cruise Ship Topics