An individual has finally been able to save enough money to go on their dream vacation aboard a cruise ship. They want to experience the adventures and great experiences that come from vacationing on a cruise ship, but suddenly, they encounter an accident while on board and are unable to enjoy their cruise any further. They now require immediate medical assistance for the slip and fall that they endured. What happens then? Who will pay for their expenses? Was anyone at fault for the accident? Did the passenger contribute to their slip and fall?
Maritime cases are very complex because they involve various external factors that could have led to the accident of the passenger. While those vacationing on cruise ships should not have to worry about falling victim of an accident, it still happens every year, even on major cruise lines like Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Action against the cruise line company can be sought because the victim has legal rights. The first thing that should be protected is the health of the individual that suffered an injury in the accident.
Miami cruise ship lawyers from Percy Martinez Law Firm always tell their clients and future victims of accidents on board a cruise ship vessel that their health is the most important thing following an accident. Immediately seeking medical aid should be the first thought that goes through a victim’s mind after an accident. While there are various other steps to take, without a health, there is nothing that can be done.
Actions to Be Taken After Accident Overseas
- Go seek medical attention on the cruise ship’s medical center
- Write in as much detail as possible the circumstances involved with the accident
- Report the incident to the cruise ship’s security and have them write an accident report
- If witnesses were present, gather their contact information
- Get video footage or photographs of the scene where the accident took place, along with the injuries that are visibly seen
- Get in touch with a Miami maritime accident attorney while still on board the cruise
- Once the cruise has ended, follow-up with medical care
- Get in touch with the attorney once the cruise has made it back to its destination
Those who have endured an injury while overseas need to be aware that most major cruise line companies have a time limit of one year for the victim to file a claim and many requirements before doing so. For this reason, the victim should also get a copy of their ticket, which contains the contract between the cruise line and the passenger. If the case has merit, a personal injury attorney from the Percy Martinez Law Firm will evaluate the case in all its entirety and gather as much evidence as possible to have the best chances of winning the case.