There are various organizations that are meant for the caring, treating, and supervision of those above the age of 65 and those with medical conditions that require constant care. Some of those places include hospitals, assisted living facilities, and nursing homes. While each organization is meant to provide an individual with different services, nursing homes are there to aid a variety of individuals suffering from certain conditions and who have come to age. A nursing home essentially becomes the home of an elder person because their original home is no longer suitable for them to live in. Family members might have had to make the choice of placing there loved on in these facilities because there was no other option. For the unlucky residents in nursing home facilities, neglect and abuse are making them victims, but for many other residents, family members could be relaxed to know that they are received proper care.
There are been many cases where an elder resident was not properly fed, resulting in malnutrition, and other cases of emotional abused that caused the elder person to harm themselves. Sadly, the number of these incidents continues to rise as the year’s pass and along with that, the number of individuals being placed into these institutions. The damages and difficulties that come to not only a victim of neglect and abuse but to their family and friends is a phenomenon that is greatly understood by the Hollywood firm of attorneys for nursing home abuse. The consequences of others cause innocent people to suffer for the rest of their lives.
Abuse Is Seen In Many Instances
The form that abuse takes is not just restricted to one type. An elder in a nursing home can experience abuse in more ways than one including:
- Physical Means: The most common knowledge of abuse is that it occurs physically. While abuse happens physically, it is not limited just to that. Physical abuse poses a great threat to life because a simple fall or even a punch can render someone incapacitated, especially an elder resident. Signs of abuse are most easily seen through physical abuse because indicators will be present in the physical state like bruises.
- Emotional Means: A form of abuse that messed with someone’s mental state is emotional. Emotional abuse can get the best of us and it can leave an individual thinking they are unworthy. A resident might be emotionally abused by being called names or screamed at. Although more difficult to perceive than physical abuse, there will always be changes in someone who is being emotionally abused including, thoughts of suicide or isolation.
- Sexual Means: This is the most shameful and downgrading form of abuse that can occur because it leaves the victim feeling ashamed and guilty of themselves even though it was not their fault. Elder residents are often frail and vulnerable which makes them soft targets for sexual offenders and even individuals with mental problems. This is why nursing homes need to have adequate safety measures in place.
- Financial Means: When an employee of the nursing home or the nursing home itself is taking property and financial assets of the resident for their own personal gain, then this would be deemed as financial abuse. A resident might not be the one in charge of handling their monetary affairs and if that is the case, vigilance needs to be placed in their funds to ensure that no financial exploitation is taking place.
Hollywood Nursing Home Abuse Warning signs
There are a number of warning signs to watch out for in a resident who is experience neglect or abuse. Most of these signs will be visible, while others may take a while to discover. Most importantly, one must look for these signs to make sure that nothing wrong is occurring to their loved one. Some of those warnings include:
- Senior citizen that is attacked by another resident due to a lack of supervision Weird activity happening with their bank account or missing property
- Room of resident that is poorly cleaned and poor personal hygiene
- Elderly that develops pressure sores
- Sudden worsening of current health condition
- Senior that is acquiring infections that seem to always come back
- Resident that endures broken bones or fractures due to constant falling
- Bleeding or bruises in private areas like breast or rectum
- Physical injuries
Malicious actions towards the resident could be thought from any little sign that they exhibit. It is never advisable to overlook a sign because that sign could be the one that helps discover the neglect or abuse are taking place. Also, it is good to remember that many signs may be present in the way they behave themselves rather than visible to the eye.
There Are No Admissible Motives for Neglect/Abuse
The motive behind neglecting or abusing someone is individual to each case. Fully knowing the truth behind why someone would do such a thing can only come from their mouth. The Hollywood law firm has encountered various cases of neglect and abuse linked to different motives including:
- Medical chart of resident that is not properly looked over by the healthcare providers
- Facility lacking employees and placing too much work on the other employees that cannot meet demands
- Cognitive behavior diseased residents not being cared for properly due to inexperience
- The evaluation of the resident upon entering the facility is conducted improperly
- Facility lacking security means
- Improper transportation techniques conducted by employees
- Lack of supervision for high-risk patients
- Defective mobility assistant devices
- Failure to conduct extensive backgrounds on future personnel
- Sanitizing procedures not followed
The individual abusing or neglecting has different reasons as to why. Everyone has their reason but none of those motives are admissible to the courts. The courts would not excuse abuse or neglect for any reason. These individuals will pay for their actions after an attorney for personal injury from the Hollywood firm addressed their case.
Nursing Home Material and Figures
This following information will come to a surprise to many:
- Emotional abuse towards an elder resident has been admitted in about 50% of certified nursing assistants
- Abuse has presented itself in 40% of nursing homes nationwide
- Neglect has presented itself in 90% of facilities nationwide
- Elder abuse will affect two million victims annually
Look Today And Do the Right Thing For Your Loved One
The road taken before selecting a nursing home after deciding to place a loved one in there must be performed with extensive research and the best interest of the resident kept in mind. The resident’s needs need to be fulfilled with the correct nursing home. Just choosing to choose is not the answer. Many things should be done before having come to a decision including:
- Looking for facilities that are easily accessible by being at a reasonable distance
- After choosing the closest ones, picking out the ones that provide the services need and have been rated great
- Getting others involved in the decision-making process because more brains work better than one
- Ensuring that the needs of the residents will be met by the chosen facilities
- Have questions prepared for the facility and nursing home employees
- Physically visiting the facility to evaluate its quality
Many elements are involved before contemplating with which nursing home facility to go to, regardless of how much options there is made available. It is not an easy decision to make.
Hollywood Location Nursing Home Amenities
Hollywood, FL offers a variety of facilities for fulfilling senior citizen’s needs. Here is a small list of those organizations:
- The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills
- Golfcrest HealthCARE Center
- Azalea Gardens Assisted Living Facility
- Majestic Memory Care
- Serenity Gardens Retirement
- Hollywood Manor
- Midtown Manor
- At Family Member Homecare Agency
- Sheridan Manor
- Raya’s Paradise, Inc.
Extreme attention and care should be placed on choosing the facility for the elderly resident even though there are many facilities in the picture. It is not the first one that seems plausible.
The Voice That Was Never Heard Will Be Today
Many residents lack family members and friends that are regularly visiting them and that could ensure that they are being well taken care of. This is a reality for many residents and sadly, signs of neglect and abuse can go unnoticed. Not only does the firm fight vigorously to attain accountability, but the lawyers provide their clients with the moral, emotional, and compassionate support they deserve during these heartbreaking moments at Percy Martinez Hollywood firm.