It may have been a decision that one had to make against their own will. The hard decision of placing a loved one in a nursing home might have to be made by a daughter or son for different reasons. The elder may not have been able to take care of themselves anymore, they may have had a medical condition like Dementia develop, or they may have become so gravely ill that they require 24/7 care and attention that could only be provided by healthcare professionals. It may have been the right decision to make, but it is never an easy one. No one wants to place the lives of their loved ones in the hands of another person. Despite the many concerns, nursing homes are there to care for these elder individuals that lack the health to provide for themselves. Due to the lack of skill, knowledge, and time, friends and families might require to placed there loved one there.
While a nursing home may be the answer for many, it has become a place of pain and suffering for a great number of residents. Elder residents in these Old Folks’ Homes are being subjected to a number of different abuses and neglect. Damages are coming to these fragile residents and some are even having to face wrongful deaths. FT. Lauderdale lawyers for nursing home abuse are well-equipped and motivated to deal with these types of personal injury cases. Sadly, many of these residents never come to the surface because they are unable to report the wrongdoings that are being done to them, especially when they do not have any family members.
Old Folks’ Home Category of Abuses
An elder person in a nursing home, and in any other location can experience different sorts of abuse and neglect. Some are more dangerous than others, while some can leave a lifelong imprint in their lives. Those include:
- Exploitation Through Physical Means: A resident can become a victim of physical abuse in different ways. They may be pushed, they may be restrained, they may be punched, and even struck with an object. Physical abuse towards an elderly person is extremely hazardous for every aspect of their health.
- Exploitation Through Emotional Means: Often less apparent, emotional abuse is devastating for the mental state of an individual. Emotional abuse is a ticking bomb because it slowly, but surely damages the victim. Elder individuals sometimes have the mentality of children and are susceptible to extensive damages when emotionally abused.
- Exploitation Through Financial Means: The assets and personal property that pertain to the resident will either be managed by the facility or by a loved one. Because they are sometimes unaware of what occurs with their personal funds, the elder person might not even know that they are being financially abused. When there are suspicious transactions or missing assets of the resident, that might mean that the resident is being exploited financially.
- Exploitation Through Sexual Means: Sexual predators and offenders often prey on the weak and easy targets. Elders are considered soft targets and are often becoming victims of different types of crimes and sexual abuse is one of them. Due to their vulnerable nature and lack of communication, residents in nursing homes are being taken advantage of.
Look For These Signs In Your Loved One at Ft. Lauderdale Old Folks’ Home
Adequate treatment and good care are two assets that loved ones need to seek in a nursing home facility. That is a duty they have towards their loved one. In order to assure that they are receiving the above, loved ones need to analyze the abuse and neglect signs that could be taking place including:
- Resident experiences changes in their personal funds
- Resident having physical impairments like a fracture, lacerations, or broken bones
- Infections like sepsis or other medical ailments like pressure sores developing
- Repeated infections
- Resident having a dirty appearance like dirty hair
- Current medical condition of the resident worsening
- Resident acting out of character
There are many forms that neglect and abuse can demonstrate. One thing that is for sure is that if a resident is acting strange or not in character, that might be a sign suggesting that they are being abused or neglected, especially if it is a resident that is unable to communicate.
Neglect and Abuse Is Not Caused Solely For One Reason
Ft. Lauderdale Nursing home abuse law firm are constantly shocked at a number of nursing home victims that come for assistance after having been neglected and abuse and the reasoning behind. The first thought that comes to mind is how cruel and malicious people can be, especially to an individual that lacks good health. Some elements that have contributed to neglect and abuse include:
- Untrained personnel that are not able to deal with cognitive disorders
- Residents need not being fulfilled due to the lack of employees
- Lack of background investigations on future employees
- Lacking security procedures to ensure safety
- Improper assessment of the resident prior to admittance
- Resident’s medical chart not being reviewed
- Facilities cleaning ways lacking quality
No reason should be allowed. There is never a valid reason to neglect or abuse an elderly individual, especially by health care providers that are responsible for their overall health. When a resident is inflicted with damages as a result of neglect or abuse, they must consult with neglect and abuse in nursing home attorneys in Ft. Lauderdale.
United States Statistics On Neglect and Abuse of the Elderly
- Elderly people are abused annually at a rate of 2 million cases
- An elder person will become a victim of abuse at a rate of 10%
- Reports of abuse often are not brought to the light and remain silent
- 90% of nursing home facilities have experienced some sort of negligence
- Nursing home facilities have a 40% abuse rate
Take These Steps To Conserve Your Loves One’s Life
After making the decision to place a loved one in a nursing home, the next step would be in finding the right nursing home, despite the decision not being one that wanted to be taken. The nursing home that is decided upon requires numerous steps before the final decision. It is the same concept when a parent is choosing a daycare for their child.; they do not choose whichever one. These steps should be adopted:
- Elect nursing home locations that are closest to their home
- Select the nursing home facilities that have been rated the highest
- Determine the positives and negatives of the facility with the help of other family and friends
- Looking through Medicare and Medicaid websites to find certified locations
- Make a list of thoroughly thought questions to ask the facility
- Visit the nursing home
Ensuring that a loved one is placed in proper care is essential. The specific needs of the resident should be considered before choosing a facility. The nursing home should meet those needs.
Locations in Ft. Lauderdale of Nursing Home Facilities
Ft. Lauderdale is a location that is composed of many nursing home facilities and other professional care facilities including:
- Brookdale Willow Wood
- Manor Pines Convalescent Center
- Golden Sands Assisted Living
- Villa Rio Vista
- Williamsburg Landing Assisted Living
- Symphony at the Waterways
- Kelly’s Assisted Living
One needs to take the time and have patience when electing the nursing home that they feel is correct for their loved one. Consideration of all elements should be taken.
Here To Fight Abusive and Neglectful Individuals and Facilities
The Ft. Lauderdale firm works day and night to ensure that their qualified personal injury lawyers for nursing home abuse are able to compile all relevant information and evidence needed to create a solid case. Those who committed the harm to the resident will pay for the pain and suffering they have caused the residents and their families. There should be no fear of exploitation or neglect when placing a loved one in a nursing home facility.