Modern medicine has established new technologies and methods to prevent pregnancy from taking place. Essure is another method that serves the purpose of permanently controlling pregnancy which was manufactured by Bayer in the year 2002. Essure is a birth control that does not need surgery in order to implant it. Essure can be implanted in an office setting, making the process less stressful on the woman. The implantation takes place in the fallopian tubes where a tiny metal spring-like object that contains synthetic fibers will prevent pregnancy from taking place.
The way in which the prevention occurs is that tissue will start to form around the spring-like device within about three months after the implantation takes place. The tissue creates like a wall, disabling the passage of sperm from reaching the eggs. While this could be beneficial for a woman who does not want to fall pregnant, there have been many complications linked with the use of Essure. Before deciding to use a certain birth control, it is advisable to research about the product that will be used before agreeing to it. Patients who were injured due to the use of Essure birth control may have enough evidence to prove a product liability claim against the negligent party. The team of experienced faulty medical product litigators can gather everything necessary for their clients to relieve them of the stress they are already experiencing at Percy Martinez Law Firm.
Essure: Potential Damages that Can Arise
Regardless of Essure not having the added risk of a surgery because it does not need one, Essure has been linked with many different complications. In fact, Essure has been recalled from Brazil but has yet to be recalled from the United States. Some of those harms include:
- Perforation of the fallopian tubes or uterus due to the movement of the device
- Excessive bleeding
- Constant pelvic pain
- Allergic reactions possibly due to nickel
- Weight loss
- Hair loss
- Possibility of ectopic pregnancies
- Unplanned pregnancy
As of February 2016, the FDA demanded that the manufacturer, Bayer, conduct new studies to better comprehend the risks that can come from using Essure and how it can impact the life of the woman. Any of the above harms can indicate that the birth control device that was implanted is faulty. A woman who has had Essure implanted and experiences any of the above should seek medical help immediately. Discovering that something is wrong can come from any of these symptoms. The quicker a person reacts to a sign or symptom, the faster the problem will be assessed. Even excessive bleeding can indicate that the device may not have been placed properly.
FAQS About Essure Birth Control
Question: How effective is Essure?
Answer: Studies indicate that Essure has over a 99% chance at preventing pregnancy. There is always that 1% chance of having an unplanned pregnancy. In fact, there have been 639 reports of pregnancy while using this device.
Question: Which complications have come from the use of Essure?
Answer: Essure has been the cause of more than 5,000 reports of serious side effects. Sadly, removing the device is not an option because it is permanent, so those who experience severe side effects may end up having a hysterectomy or other procedures to correct the complications. Some severe complications associated with Essure include perforation of the uterus or fallopian tubes, allergic reactions, and bleeding in excess, just to name a few. More than 9,900 reports have been made to the FDA about Essure including both severe and minor side effects.
Question: Has the company Bayer had any successful lawsuits against them?
Answer: As of May 2016, no claims that have been made against the product Essure have been decided on. The first lawsuit made against the use of Essure was filed in 2013 by Heather Walsh. She claimed that one of the coiled devices got stuck in her colon, which required that she have a hysterectomy. As a result, Walsh developed autoimmune disorders and extreme pain.
Question: Is Bayer shield from any responsibilities for the complications that have come from Essure device?
Answer: No. In March 2016, a judge in the U.S District Court decided that two out of the seven claims that were made against Bayer, failure to warn and negligent misinterpretation, would move forward with five plaintiffs, including Heather Walsh.
Question: How do I proceed after enduring a pregnancy or injury after having Essure implanted?
Answer: The first thing to do is to seek immediate medical assistance to correct the issues that came from using Essure. If the victim would like to seek their legal options, they will need to contact a skilled medical faulty device lawyer for a free consultation.
Essure Birth Control: Statistics and Facts
Below will be listed a number of facts and statistics associated with the use of Essure:
- Since its approval by the FDA in 2002, about 750,000 women have used Essure
- Does not require a surgery
- Over 99% effective
- 5 million women have relied on permanent birth control between the year 2011 to 2013
- Between January 2008 and January 2014, 129 surgeries were performed to correct complications from Essure; 125 of them had tubal blockage
- FDA has received over 10,000 reports of injuries and 30 deaths from Essure
- The initial study conducted for Essure monitored 366 patients. Out of the 366, 15 had to have hysterectomies, 38% of them suffered from heavy bleeding, 5% of the 366 patients experienced chronic pelvic pain, and 4% experienced pain during intercourse
While there have been many claims filed against Bayer company, no settlements have been reached for such claims.
Complications from Essure Use Lawyers
The effects of Essure can have a lifetime consequence on the woman and her family. The medical malpractice lawyers at Percy Martinez Law Firm represent victims who have suffered damages due to a defective product. The firm offers their potential clients free consultation to assess their case and compile the necessary documents to form a solid case against the manufacturers of the defective product. A victim who believes that they suffered a medical mistake from using a medical device can seek out their legal options with the help of a personal injury attorney.Office Locations of Lawyers who specialize in Medical Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys, Orlando, FL – Near me
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer, Miami, FL – Near me
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers, Tampa, FL – Near me
Related Defective Medical Devices