Coral Gables Hospital has been in operation for over 90 years. They feature a wide variety of services offered through different units within the hospital. The medical team at Coral Gables Hospital focuses on clinical outcomes and patient experience. As a well-known hospital in Miami-Dade County, we can say that a person might have at least once been to that hospital during their lifetime, I know I have. Like every other medical facility in Florida, Coral Gables Hospital is a place where a patient could become a victim of medical malpractice. As a patient, there is always a risk, even though we want to believe that we will get better once we seek medical attention.
Sometimes, there are patients that go for one problem, and come out with two additional issues with their health because a health care provider was negligent during their treatment. Let’s say you go in for an operation for a trouble with one of your major organs, yet, the ER team confuses your medical chart for another patient, and instead, amputates one of your arms. Now, not only did they not fix the problem with your organ, you now have an amputated arm. Our Miami Personal Injury firm of skilled lawyers know that it is crazy, but it does happen.
A medical malpractice lawsuit can come to Coral Gables Hospital through all of the services they offer, including:
Medical malpractice can take place in any of the above health provider situations. There are newer medical procedures like robotic surgery and surgical weight loss surgery that do not have the same amount of years in practice, and research like other areas of medicine. With the lack of experience, medical negligence is possible. Even with excessive experience, other factors can lead to a medical malpractice claim.
Common Occurrences of Medical Malpractice
Medical malpractice has various different types of ways that a patient can become one, but there are some malpractices that happen more often than others. Learning of what type of medical malpractice can affect you during your visit at Coral Gables Hospital is an element that can assist you in preventing it or allow you to understand what happened if it does affect you. Miami Professional personal injury attorneys at Percy Martinez Law Firm have dealt with the following medical malpractice lawsuits:
- Diagnostic Error lawsuit: One medical malpractice type that many people may find untrue to believe is misdiagnosis. Yes, shockingly, four million of US citizens experience no diagnosis, a delayed diagnosis, and wrong diagnosis every year. This means that four million people are in the danger zone of suffering permanent injury or even death. In fact, this medical malpractice takes up a grand portion of all known malpractices. You have an urgent condition like pneumonia and are diagnosed with a simple cold. The results of this misdiagnosis can lead to a medical malpractice lawsuit for misdiagnosis, particularly if you suffered damages.
- Lawsuit for Birth Injury: Did you know that just a little less than four million babies are born each year? And that out of 1,000 that are born, an average of six to eight will be born with a birth injury? That is quite a lot when you think about it. Those innocent souls that have not even begun to live are already born in this world with an impairment. Some typical birth injuries include: hypoxia, Erb’s Palsy, brachial plexus, Cerebral palsy, injuries to the spinal cord, bone fractures, and more. Miami Birth injury lawyers are here to file your medical malpractice lawsuit.
- Mistakes with surgery lawsuit: Surgeries are amongst the most practiced procedures in the medical field that take place every year. Millions of Americans are going under the knife to either fix a health issue or an aesthetic one. With so many details and provisions tangled with surgeries, making mistakes during the process is not farfetched. There is always an element of risk when you undergo an operation, even if it is one that is commonly performed. Some examples of surgical errors include a nerve being injured, performing the surgery on the wrong body part, leaving an instrument behind, and more.
Furthermore, medication error lawsuit, improper treatment lawsuit, pregnancy and labor incompetence lawsuit, informed consent lawsuit, are some additional types of medical malpractice can happen. It is imperative that if damage has come to you or a loved one within any of these medical settings, that you call a competent Miami lawyer for medical malpractice form Percy Martinez Law Firm.
Reason Behind the Act
Now that we know the common types of medical malpractice, many victims want to understand why they happen. After all, the professional that was treating you was supposedly skilled at what they do, right? Regretfully, that is how it works. Even the most practiced physician can commit medical negligence. These are some reasons why:
- Inexperience: Perhaps the medical provider that is caring for you has not performed or cared for the specific ailment you are experiencing. They might not have sufficient knowledge to properly judge your condition and offer you the adequate treatment. This could sound extremely strange to a lot of individuals, but it does occur.
- Lack of communication: When a medical procedure is being performed, it is not simply one professional that is doing it. A procedure is often composed of a team of medical professionals like the physician, assisting physicians, nurses, anesthesiologists, and more. They all have to work together to ensure the outcome of the patient is positive. When a medical team does not communicate properly with each other, the doctor might not know that the vital signs of the patient have changed causing them to go into cardiac arrest or that all the surgical instruments were accounted for resulting in a sponge being left behind.
- Negligence: There are many times that health care providers are not as careful as they should be. Because they may have performed the specific procedure countless of times, they do not bring attention to the table when the time comes. They basically perform the procedure out of habit, rather than, with technique. They may disregard important elements like sterilizing the surgical equipment or monitoring the patient’s vital signs because they believe everything will be fine. Heck, it’s been fine all of the other times they’ve performed it, why would it be any different now?
In addition to the above, the following reasons behind medical malpractice occurrences have been noted by Percy Martinez Law Firm medical malpractice lawyers in Miami:
- Improper work process
- The use of alcohol/drugs
- Not enough planning
A medical malpractice lawsuit can be filed against Coral Gables Hospital if any of the above applies to your specific medical malpractice case.
Relevant Information About Medical Malpractice
- A study conducted in 2002, found that preventable errors committed by hospitals across the US were responsible for 195,000 average deaths
- Claims for compensation due to medical malpractice are only ever filed by 2% of those who suffer from it
- Unnecessary surgery it the result of 12,000 fatalities every year
- Bureau of justice statistics reports that practicing surgeons are the medical professionals that comprise 50% of medical malpractice claims
- Adverse medication effects kill an estimated 106,000 people annually
- 1.5 million individuals suffer an injury from a medication error
- Diagnosis mistakes affect four million individuals on an annual basis
- Some form of medical malpractice claims 225,000 lives every year
- Birth injury affects between 24,000 to 35,000 babies every year
- The average award for victims of medical malpractice is $799,000
- 60% of victims of medical malpractice are females
- Misdiagnosis of cancer happens to about 12% of people
Chart Showing Damage Caps for Practitioners in Florida for Non-Economic Damages
|General||No more than $500,000 for non-economic damages|
|Permanent vegetative state/ Death||1 Million dollars for non-economic damages|
|Catastrophic injury/ Severe non-economic damage||If damage to the victim is severe (catastrophic injury), then the general limit for non-economic rises to $1,000,000|
|Emergency care services||No more than $150,000 per plaintiff; no more than $300,000 per combined plaintiffs|
|Medicaid recipient care or services negligence||No more than $300,000 per victim; the liable doctor should not pay more than $200,000 unless an act of wrongfulness is proven|
*Info provided by LegalMatch
Charts Showing Damage Caps for Non-Practitioners in Florida for Non-Economic Damages
|General||No more than $750,000 per plaintiff; no more than $1,500,000 per combined plaintiffs|
|Permanent vegetative state/ Death||If damage to the victim is permanent or death, then the general limit for non-economic rises to $1,500,000|
|Catastrophic injury/ Severe non-economic damage||If damage to the victim is severe (catastrophic injury), then the general limit for non-economic rises to $1,500,000|
|Emergency care services||No more than $750,000 per plaintiff; no more than $1,500,000 per combined plaintiffs |
*Info provided by legalmatch
Note: There are no limits for economic damages awarded for victims of medical malpractice in the state of Florida. Maximum compensation for all of the damages caused, both economic, and non-economic, are what the lawyers for medical malpractice at Percy Martinez Law Firm in Miami strive to attain for their clients.
Has Coral Gables Hospital Performed a Medical Malpractice on You?
Speaking with a knowledgeable medical malpractice attorney in Miami, FL from Percy Martinez law firm about your case would help you better understand your options if medical negligence due to substandard care was what caused your pain and suffering, your damages, or the death of your beloved one. If filing a medical malpractice lawsuit against Coral Gables Hospital is an option you would like to proceed with, we are here for you. You would be helped by a magnificent team that has a proven record in medical malpractice cases. Not only will they offer you expert legal aid, but they also provide their compassion towards their clients because they understand the mental anguish and physical pain that the victim of medical malpractice may be in.
- https://www.google.com/search?q=coral+gables+hospital&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjd7aW3nIPdAhVSuVkKHSAsDsoQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=933#imgrc=nRyFAPD05HkNkM: – image
- https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=933&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=065-W8nWB8zr5gLU3o2YAg&q=medical+malpractice&oq=medical+malpractice&gs_l=img.3..0l10.102987.104832.0.104818.104.22.168.0.0.0.136.221.1j1.2.0….0…1.1.64.img..17.2.220…0i67k1.0.QmJAvaFfVko#imgrc=MvL_Orq-VjkgTM: – image