Throughout the years, the elder population has increased in size and is only expected to further grow with the number of baby boomers that are getting older. With the tremendous amount of older population, nursing homes will have to house additional residents, and even new facilities for the seniors may have to be created to support so many individuals. Sometimes in life, a loved one may have to be placed in a nursing home, making it an unwanted decision, but if the elder person suffers from a condition like dementia or is unable to care for themselves, nursing homes might be the best option for a loved one to be in. Individuals who are not trained and experienced in handling such cases may not be able to properly care for their loved one, which is why these facilities were established.
Despite the necessity of having to admit an elder person into an Old Folks’ Home, they may not be cared for as one would have thought. In fact, there have been numerous statistics that show that residents have experienced neglect and abuse within these facilities that should be addressing their every need. If a resident is injured and sustained damages as result of either an act of abuse of a neglect, the family may be entitled to file a personal injury claim with an attorney in Aventura that focuses on nursing home abuse cases. It is enough having to be taken away from a familiar home and being placed in a facility. Now, being there and sustaining damages, is heartbreaking.
Abuses That Can Occur in a Nursing Home
Abuse does not just take one shape. There are different shapes that can surface through an abuse. Some abuses that have been found to occur in the elder population include the following:
Abuse in a physical manner: Physical abuse is most often the type of abuse take can be discovered quite quickly due to the obvious physical appearances. A resident may be shoved, pushed, struck, and even placed in physician restraints. Some indicators that physical abuse may be taking place include the appearance of bruises, lacerations on the arms, and even fractures.
Abuse in an emotional manner: Emotional abuse is probably the most difficult to uncover because there may not be any signs indicating that any abuse is taking place, but if the resident is well-known by their loved ones, there may be some changes in their character that may suggest that something is wrong. Some changes can include isolation, aggressivity, constant fear, and more.
Abuse in a financial manner: When the elder’s goods and other assets are being taken away against their will and used for a nursing home staff members or the facilities own personal gain, then this would be considered financial abuse. Some things that could occur with financial abuse could be a forged check, money disappearing, and discrepancies with their bank account.
Abuse in a sexual manner: A sad reality is that because most of these elderly individuals rely upon another person to care for them, they may be helpless and are subjected to sexual abuse. They become an easy prey for sexual offenders. Some signs could be bruises around the genital area, bleeding from the genital area or rectum, and even soiled undergarments.
Aventura Nursing Home Indications of Abuse and Neglect
In order to remove a loved one from such a terrible situation, studying the signs that neglect or abuse is taking place is essential for their overall well-being. An elder who is neglected or abused during the course of their lifetime will have a higher possibility of dying prior to their intended time. Some red flags to watch out for include:
- Infections that are constantly manifesting (lack of proper treatment)
- Resident that keeps falling on a daily basis and sustaining injuries (lack of supervision and appropriate assessment)
- Complications that arise like a pressure sore due to the lack of care
- Physical irregularities that present themselves like cuts and bruises
- Overall dirty appearance like dirty nails, clothes, body odor, and more
Along with the above, there are a number of different signs. If someone wants to ensure that their loved one is not becoming a victim of abuse or neglect, it is important for them to closely monitor their loved one for any changes.
Origins For Neglect and Abuse in the Elderly
It is crazy to just even picture a loved one being neglected or abused in an environment that is made to house and care for them, but it does happen. It might not be a health care provider or the facility that abuses the resident, but if another resident or a third-party that comes into the facility does, the facility is responsible for that. Some origins that have been found to cause neglect and abuse in an Aventura nursing home include:
- Lack of nursing home staff members to care for all residents
- Failing to assess which patients are high-risk
- Having health care providers that are inexperienced with certain conditions like Alzheimer’s
- Lack of proper medical care
- Failing to conduct necessary and extensive background checks on employees
- Lack of security
- Health care providers who are stressed out
The damages that can come to an elderly individual that is neglected or abuse may be far worse than it would for a young adult due to their delicate state. For this reason, an Aventura elder abuse attorney can fight for their rights.
Elder Neglect and Abuse Prevalence in Nursing Homes
Some may be sad to learn that neglect and abuse towards the elderly occur quite often and has become a great concern for many.
- Some form of abuse has been reported in about 40% of all residents
- Residents have either reported neglect to them or other residents at a rate of 90%
- Approximately about 2 million claims are made for abuse towards the elderly every year
- Sadly, the majority of neglect and abuse cases go unreported
- One elder person will be abused for every 10
Searching For the Best Old Folk’s Home May Prevent Abuse/Neglect
One way to prevent a loved one from becoming a victim of an avoidable experience is to find the right facility for them. It is not about just simply finding one and placing them right into it. There have to be investigations, questions asked, and most importantly, discovering whether it is the best fit. These are some things that could be done to find the perfect nursing home:
- Ask the facility and nursing home staff as much question as possible including, their safety precautions, medical care treatment, rights of visitation, how they conduct their hiring process, and any other relevant questions
- Creating a list of prestigious nursing homes that are located close to their home
- Determine the quality of the potential nursing home by visiting it beforehand
- Finding which facilities are certified through the Medicaid and Medicare websites
- Discussing the nursing home with family and friends
- Determine whether the elderly person finds the facility appealing
Many factors must come into the picture when deciding upon a nursing home for a loved one.
Aventura’s Nursing Homes Available To You
Below will be listed some assisted living and nursing home facilities in Aventura:
- Prestige Care Aventura Assisted Living Facility
- Imperial Club
- Palm Garden of Aventura
- Prestige Care Aventura Assisted Living Facility
Determining which facility would be the best match for a loved one is a vital factor to ensure the well-being of the resident. Following the suggested things to do to find the right fit can help to limit the possibilities of a loved one sustaining damages from abuse or neglect. They must live in the best nursing home possible.
Fight For Your Loved One’s Rights Alongside Aventura Personal Injury Lawyers
The well-being and life of a loved one are the most important things to take into account. When something is done to hinder and deteriorate the health of a loved one, the harm cannot go undone. Action needs to be taken to combat the injustice and intentional acts that a resident has had to suffer as a result of an abusive or negligent caregiver. Aventura personal injury attorneys for nursing home abuse at Percy Martinez Law Firm have seen how many elderly individuals and families have suffered because they trusted a health care provider but were deceived. They have assisted many victims of abuse and neglect and continue to fight against insurance companies, caregivers, and facilities to ensure that their client’s rights are made apparent.
Finding the correct nursing home requires planning, research, attention, and commitment. The life of a loved one cannot be recovered if it is lost. Do not wait to bring justice to the light. The firm accompanies their clients every step of the way.