Teenage Rider Killed in Motorcycle Crash in Trinity, FL
Trinity, FL – According to the Florida Highway Patrol, a collision taking place on State Road 54 leaves a motorcyclist dead.
The victim, 19-year old Aaron Scott Barnhouse, was riding westbound on his 2002 KTM when 74-year old Milagros Beda Coulmas was driving eastbound on SR54 in her 2003 Toyota Matrix.
Reports stated that at about 12 p.m. Sunday, Coulmas made a left turn on the intersection right into the path of Barnhouse.
Barnhouse’s motorcycle struck the right side of Coulmas’s vehicle.
The injuries that Barnhouse sustained from the impact were substantial.
He died at the scene of the crash.
The agency reported that Coulmas has charges pending against her.
When Left-Turns Result in Accidents
Fatal motorcycle collisions are often as a result of a left turn being done by a vehicle, like in this case. The motorcycles often go at a high-rate of speed, are often hard to see by the driver, or the driver miscalculates the distance between them. Perhaps, Ms. Coulmas did not calculate the right distance in accordance with the velocity that the motorcycle was coming at, but, despite the possible source of the accident, being the cause of someone dying could be traumatizing. Now, the family of the young Barnhouse has to face the reality that their loved one is gone. Why this accident took place will be determined through the investigations and witness testimonies, if any. We are truly sorry for the loss of this young life, but negligence has to pay.
Why Do Left-Turn Accidents Occur?
Each case in unique as to how it happens and why it happens, but our Personal Injury Law Firm in Florida of Percy Martinez has found the following reasons to be the root sources:
- Driver misjudges how close the motorcycle is to them
- Motorcycle is going at an extreme velocity
- Driver of vehicle does not see the motorcycle due to its size
- Driver is not paying attention for motorcycles
Our brains sometimes do not account for smaller objects that may be in the midst of larger ones, but that is not a reason to cause the collision, especially when loss of life is the aftermath.
Preventing Left-Turn Accidents
As vehicle drivers and motorcycle drivers, there are certain actions that you can take in order to reduce the possibilities of being involved in this type of accident, where the motorcycle driver is often the one who suffers the bad faith.
- Gain some education: It is imperative that drivers raise awareness of their surroundings, especially with motorcycle drivers. More and more people are turning to motorcycles whether it is for pleasure or its cost-efficiency quality. Be educated on how prevalent these types of accidents are.
- Motorcycle riders must be visible: Because you are already in a vehicle that is small, you should make yourself well seen by others around you. Try wearing reflective clothing and using a bright color on your bike.
- Reduce distractions: Do not be distracted when you are driving. Often times, people do not pay mind to the road because it has become something of a habit to them. Instead, they are focused on things that are not relevant to their current function like using their cell phones. You are not focused on what you should be: the road.
- Eliminate dangerous left turn: It has been shown that all drivers are in danger when left turns are present in high-traffic areas. It would be easier if these turns were eliminated and instead, traffic circles were placed.
The key to preventing an accident is being educated in that ways that it could happen. Unfortunately, Aaron Scott Barnhouse lost his life in an accident that could have been prevented. Why didn’t Ms. Coulmas have patience and wait until everything was clear for her to turn left? Why are drivers being anxious to turn left before being sure that no danger is near? Ms. Coulmas broke her duty of care on the road and she cost the life of such a young person. Aaron Scott Barnhouse had his whole life ahead of him and now he is unable to enjoy it, nor his family and friends.
Personal Injury Lawyers for Left Turn Motorcycle Accidents
These collisions happen way more than they should. In fact, almost half of all motorcycle and vehicle crashes are due to left-turn impacts. Hopes and prayers go out to the family and friends of Aaron Scott Barnhouse. Our professional team of personal injury attorneys at Percy Martinez Law Firm in Florida just know how common these collisions are and constantly see the mistakes being done over and over again. We want to assist the victims of left-turn collisions regain some hope back into their lives. It is important to seek justice for those who were injured. Our team awaits your call. We will work together to seek the justice that your loved one deserves.
R.I.P Aaron Scott Barnhouse